I may not always tell you, but I hope you always know.
I love the way:
- You wear your Wildcat shirt when Kentucky is playing basketball, your Buckeye shirt when Ohio State is playing football, and both Vandy and Kentucky shirts when they have games on the same day.
- You look so tender when you hold our baby’s (Nikki’s) babies (Finn and Elise).
- You are the only one who can rock Elise to sleep.
- You get down and play trains with Finn even when your back is hurting.
- You mellow as you age, like a good wine.
- You always offer to switch meals with me in a restaurant when I’m disappointed in what I ordered even though you prefer yours.
- You type for me to keep me from getting a headache even though you type so much more slowly.
- You wait patiently and offer encouragement while I try on clothes in a dress shop.
- You make me laugh.
- You attend musicals with me because I like them even though you hate them.
- You smell like soap when you come out of the shower, or like grass when you’ve been on your tractor.
- You find excuses to “work” outside when the day is fine.
- You never make me feel stupid about my backwards sense of direction.
- You leave a trail of business cards for my novel The Ticket wherever we go.
- You surprised me with a big poster of the cover of The Ticket.
- You set the alarm without grumbling when I’m the one who needs to get up early.
- You can always tell me what I’ve missed on TV even though you are reading a book and I’m the one watching.
- You like my hairstyles even when I don’t.
- You gave up caffeine and refined carbohydrates in solidarity to help my migraines.
- You make me feel beautiful.
- You’re you.